May 20, 2010

Preview #5 ----My Piano Teacher Mrs. Asaoka


My Piano Teacher Mrs. Asaoka
16" x 20" (26" x 30" w frame)
oil on canvas




"This is based off of my childhood experience of taking piano lessons from this lady named Mrs.Asaoka. She always slapped my hands if I missed keys(well…., I never practiced home…) and told me I sounded like a little piglet when I sang. (yes, she really said it!) She was probably a nice person and wanted me to play well but my child’s instinct just didn’t accept her garish dresses and marble angel statues by the gate of her house…. Man, I think I would have been playing in Carnegie Hall instead of drawing cartoons today if my genius music talent hadn’t been destroyed by this traumatic experience!"

*****A smaller version of this was done for "Monster?" show at Copro Gallery last year.
This is a bigger and slightly different version. ******